What They Think of Us, Part 704
Just in time for July 4, the cafeteria at my office had a special On Fete Les Etas-Unis (We Celebrate the USA) theme lunch. They do this every so often for countries whose cuisine translates neatly into the cafeteria format--Italy, Morocco, etc. So the cafeteria was decorated in red-white-blue bunting and posters of New York City and Route 66, and Meilleur Hits d'Elvis Presley playing on the PA.
As for the menu:
- Barbecued chicken wings (not spicy, but you take what you can get)
- Cheeseburgers (looked passable enough)
- Cole Slaw or something like it
- Potato Salad or something not quite like it
- and for dessert, Pancakes with Peanut Butter [insert skrrriittccchhh sound of record needle skidding across "Jailhouse Rock"]
Clearly no Americans were consulted in developing the menu.
[photo: image from the website of a local shop that specializes in "deco American". I keep meaning to go check it out, especially because they have this majestically displayed in the front window. I mean... wow.]