The Frogmarch

"I've got to pull up my stakes and roll, man." --Jean-Jacques Libris de Kerouac

Monday, April 16, 2007

Daniel Jay Poore, 1974-2007

Jay Poore was a preacher's kid from South Carolina. He was a student at UNC when I met him; I was just out of college myself. This is the only digital picture I have of him, taken by my buddy Luke at one or the other of the crummy houses we rented together in Chapel Hill in the 90s.

He loved books, music, and especially film; he was into David Foster Wallace, Cormac McCarthy, Guided By Voices, Galaxie 500, Japanese anime, German expressionism and kung-fu flicks. He loved UNC basketball and Hurricanes hockey. He was a traveler, a thinker, a teacher, a husband, and for the last too-short months of his life, a father.

And he was my friend.

This all may well mean nothing to you, but here's why I'm posting this: When Jay's wife scattered his ashes on a mountaintop near their home in Seoul, Korea in February, I wasn't there, and neither were any of us--his homies, his boys. We didn't even know he had passed until this weekend. Listen, the communal processing that goes on at a funeral or memorial isn't easy, but it sure beats trying to deal with a close friend's death by sitting alone in a darkened room in France, listening to In the Aeroplane Over the Sea on repeat and trying to choke down whiskey around the huge lump in your throat.

I hadn't seen Jay since his last visit to the States two or three years ago, and only exchanged e-mails with him once or twice a year. Neither his wife in Korea nor his parents in South Carolina knew how to contact his friends back in Chapel Hill.

So here's the point: keep in touch. Pick up the phone, or send an email. You don't need a reason; who cares if it's out of the blue. Life's too short to... no, fuck that. Life's just plain too short.

Life is too short.

We'll miss you, JP. See you at the Pipe show.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    John, I'm so sorry. Love

     
  • At 3:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I lived in one of those crummy houses in Chapel Hill with Jay in the 90's. I am so very saddened to hear this news. I really don't know what to say. He will never be forgotten, Ever.

     
  • At 1:28 AM, Blogger Joseph Hill said…

    John, Jay and I were very close my last in Chapel Hill and his first year living at St. Anthony Hall. I had, to my despair, lost touch with him as well. I learned that he had passed only last night, but I learned nothing about the circumstances. As I searched the web in vain for that information, I saw your blog. Your tribute is beautiful and fitting. Never has a friend with whom I remained intimate been lost to me, so I do not know that sorrow, but I have lost friends, such as Jay, who though dear still had long been absent. Never has the news of such a loss struck me as did the news of Jay's death. I can say of him, and perhaps of him alone, that my every memory of him resounds with simple elation, and nothing more. How often do we know someone who never gives us a moment's sadness, or anger, or confusion .... I was never when he and I were together anything but joyous.

    I have taught high school for sixteen years, and Jay figures prominently in several of the stories I tell students every year. I will tell them differently now, if I can tell them at all.

    Again, I thank you for this tribute.

    Lyon is a beautiful city. When I visited the church on the hill, the name of which escapes me, and looked from there across the city, I was dumbstruck by the sensation of displacement; the view from Twin Peaks across San Francisco and the Bay is disconcertingly similar, although I believe that from no other vantage point would they seem to share even a single feature. From that hilltop, Lyon seems so much an older and wiser San Francisco, surrounded by mountains rather than water, fully at rest after all the turmoil it has survived. I do wish that I had been there alone, rather than with students, and for more than a day. J'espere que votre sejour a Lyon n'est que rempli de joie.

    Best to you, and again, thank you for your words about Jay.

    Joey

     
  • At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Josehp Hill and Frogmarch,
    If you would please tell me about Jay's Parents ... who were they, were they Caucasian as JP doesn't look completely white, his features suggest a mixture.

    Thanks,
    Oscar

     

Post a Comment

<< Home