The Frogmarch

"I've got to pull up my stakes and roll, man." --Jean-Jacques Libris de Kerouac

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Neighborhood Saints

Another photo project I'll probably never get around to:

Vieux Lyon, being an essentially untouched Renaissance town, has saints and Virgins looking out on nearly every street corner. [photo; don't know who this is. A guidebook to Lyon's saints and Virgins exists, en francais, but I haven't picked it up.]

I had the notion to go around and photograph a bunch of them, and lay them out in suitable-for-framing poster format (a la those Doors of Dublin or Chapel Hill Night Lights posters). I'll probably never get around to doing that, so feel free to steal my idea. So long as you give me one of your posters when you're done.

[photo: this is a Vierge Noire, a Black Madonna, in Le Puy-En-Velay, much older than St. Whoever above, and associated with the Templars. Cultariffic!]

2 Comments:

  • At 5:00 AM, Anonymous majordad said…

    Perhaps the one at top is Peter the Elder (due to the street being named Ste. Pierre Vieux).

     
  • At 4:17 PM, Blogger Frogmarch said…

    You may be right about that. The street is only one block long, and there is another saint at the other end (as well as a Virgin about halfway along). I've never noticed whether the saint at the other end is the same guy.

    Also, you probably can't tell very well from the photo, but the street name is no longer St. Pierre Le Vieux--there's a thin red cross-out mark across the blue street sign. The other, newer name is below it.

    The white sign points the way toward Cathedrale St. Jean, 2 blocks away.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home